Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Don't forget to check the forecast

The snow in Ann Arbor continues to fall. And I continue to forget to look at the weather forecasts. Today I found out it looked something like this:

That only really matters because this year I've picked up a new hobby: biking. I've always enjoyed biking, but now I just love it. I bike about 5 miles each way to and from campus every day (and for those of you wondering, yes I do change my clothes when I get to school so I'm not all sweaty). It's fun, it's a good way to work in exercise time, and it's a challenge. It turns out to be a bigger challenge in the snow. Frozen gears, sliding head first across ice patches, uncleared sidewalks, and poor visibility all add to the, um, fun. I admit that sometimes, albeit rarely, if I know the weather will be horrible I'll take a bus, but it hurts my pride, so most days I bundle up and go. I have proven several times now that "Pride cometh before the fall." The morning sun deceived me into believing that today was a perfect day for commuting. After lunch I looked out the window and realized I'd been tricked (again). It looked like a blizzard outside. I couldn't help but recall a classic Bushism, which you may also enjoy by clicking here or on his picture.

Fortunately today I made it home without any hard falls, but several times I had to walk my bike and it took me about twice as long to get home as normal; however, traffic everywhere was at a standstill so I'm pretty sure it was quicker than a bus or car. Who needs four-wheel drive?! Oddly enough, there's something exhilarating about getting on my bike and meeting the challenge head-on. And you know what, I think I'll just keep on doing it.

Here's a picture of what it looked like when I got home, as well as a picture of us after an earlier snow in December.
In the words of a world famous wrestler (yes it is him, Nacho Libre), "My life is good."

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Matt!
How cool that you started a blog! I started one a few months ago but haven't done anything to it. I think you may have just inspired me to finish it. Great job on the video. It was so fun to watch. Hope all is well. Give everyone our love.

Melanie