Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Power of Media and Cars

Ann Arbor just had a car show and we walked through it as we were searching for fairy doors. One of the first cars we saw was one just like this:


What's amazing about this car? You mean you don't recognize it? Well, I admit, neither did I, but Eden did. As we walked into the parking lot she pointed, ran over to it, jumped up and said with delight, "Look! It's Doc Hudson!" My first thought: "Yep, an old car, kind of like Doc Hudson." I walked over to take a look and sure enough, it was a Hudson Hornet, exactly like Doc Hudson. I was absolutely amazed that Eden recognized it. Now do you see it? Take a peek:
Interestingly enough, I just found out that the actual Fabulous Hudson Hornet is just down the road from us at the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum. Yes, Doc Hudson was based on a real racecar.

I'm still amazed, and a bit startled, at how Eden made the connection from a cartoon to a real car that was even a different color. Maybe I shouldn't be, but it was definitely a lesson on media effects, or perhaps my daughter's love of cars. Now, just think about all those shows and commercials on TV...

7 comments:

Megan and Jeremy said...

I just saw your blog on Andrea Richards :-) Happy Birthday to Sam! It looks like you've been having a fun summer. We definitely need to do the fairy door thing sometime while we're here.
See you guys at church!

Bennett Family said...

Eden is so smart! Charlie loves Cars the movie. He would have loved seeing the car show. We miss you!

Hubers said...

That totally awesome! I wish I still lived there. We would go and see it in Ypsi.

Melanie said...

That is so funny! It is amazing how smart kids are.

Meghan said...

Aaron gave me the link to your blog. We should go see the real Hudson Hornet-Tyler would love that too!
Here's our blog: megandherboys.blogspot.com

Hubers said...

How's life with the new baby? What did you name her?
Hope you are all well!

Dan said...

hello Ann Arbor! you guys still alive?